Make it easy for your website’s visitors to find any location – your business, your school, or a favorite attraction – by adding a Google Map to your website for free in just a few simple steps.
1. Open a window in your web browser and go to the Google Gadgets directory at http://www.google.com/ig/directory?synd=open.
2. Locate the Gadget called “Google Map” (usually in the top row) and click the button below it labeled ‘Add to your webpage.’ A preview map showing Google’s location in California appears.
3. Under Display Settings enter an appropriate title for your map… “The World-Famous Space Needle” for example. Change the map size as you like by adjusting the Width and Height pixel values up or down, and click to select a Border style.
4. Under Gadget Settings enter a location name in the ‘Address Name’ box (for example, “The Space Needle”). Enter the physical address in the ‘Address or Zip’ box (“400 Broad St., Seattle, WA 98109″ for our example). Select a ‘Zoom’ level from Address (close up) to Nation (far away), and select a ‘View Type’ of Map (streets and names), Satellite (aerial photography), or Hybrid (combination view). Click the ‘Preview Changes’ button to see your revisions. When satisfied with the map preview, click the button labeled ‘Get the Code.’ The HTML code for your map will appear in a box as shown below:
5. Click in the box and select all of the code (use Control-A on Windows computers or Command-A on Macs), then copy the code (Control-C on Windows, or Command-C on Macs.
6. Open a new browser window (keep the map window open in case you need to go back to it) and log in to your WebSpawner webpage account at http://www.webspawner.com. Select your desired webpage and click the ‘Modify’ button or click ‘Create’ to start a new page. Scroll down to the ‘Body Text’ step and click in the box, then paste the copied code (Control-V on Windows, or Command-V on Mac). Complete the process by clicking ‘Continue’ at the bottom of the form, and then click ‘I Like It’ at the page preview to publish your changes.
Your website will now include your embedded Google map. Visitors of your website can even interact with the map – zooming in or out and changing the View Type as desired – without ever leaving your website!
The Google Gadgets directory also contains other interesting features that you can add to your website in the same manner… simply select the desired Gadget by clicking ‘Add to your webpage’ and enter your desired settings, then get the HTML code and copy and paste it into the Body Text area of your website. Add a clock, calendar, weather, and much more to make your site interesting and informative for visitors.